Easter Sunday will soon be upon us and traditionally Lamb is the meat served for the big Sunday roast. Well that is exactly what I am going to give you here today, albeit with a few tweaks to ensure you have the very best Redcurrant Jelly Glazed Roast Lamb Leg as your table centre piece.
To ensure a great roast I turned to my favourite Organic meat supplier Graig Farm Organics.
I have been buying meat from this Welsh organic farm for almost three years. Because the quality of the meat is consistenly excellent. Since Graig Farm is a place where animals are reared using traditional methods and looked after with care and respect.
Graig Farm meat is a reflection of the time and care that has been put into raising the animals. Also it is always utterly delicious, full of flavour and cooked properly, the best meat I have ever tasted!
Since a lovely friend had given me a jar of homemade Redcurrant Jelly I thought it would work perfectly as a glaze on this Roast Lamb. Trust me if you enjoy a glazed Ham at Christmas, you will love this Redcurrant Jelly Glazed Roast Lamb!
British Bakeware have recently added this Oval Roaster with lid to their fantastic range of British manufactured bakeware. This seemed the perfect vessel for cooking the Redcurrant Jelly Glazed Roast Lamb in. As you will see, it was the perfect size.
British organic meat roasted in a British manufactured roaster!
Recipe: Redcurrant Jelly Glazed Roast Lamb serves 6 generously
2kg/4.5lb Leg of Lamb – trimmed and tied
Few Sprigs of Rosemary
3tbsp Redcurrant Jelly
Sea Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
Method: Preheat oven to 150C/135C fan, gas mark 1-2
- First of all take the lamb out of the fridge 1 hour before cooking.
- Remove all packaging and pat dry with kitchen towel
- Place the lamb in in a roasting tin that is just big enough.
- Make incisions through the skin of the lamb with a sharp knife.
- Poke small sprigs of rosemary into these holes.
- Sprinkle over sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Also, cut up one onion and place under the leg of lamb.
- Put a lid on the roasting tin, or cover with foil, ensuring the foil doesn’t touch the lamb.
- Place in a preheated oven and cook for 4 1/2 hours.
- After the cooking time has elapsed remove the roasting tin from the oven.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200C/185C fan, gas mark 6.
- Remove the lid/foil from the roasting pan and spoon the Redcurrant jelly all over the roast lamb.
- Leave the lid/foil off and place the roasting tin back into the lowest part of the oven. Also this will free up the top of the oven for crunchy roast potatoes!
- Roast the lamb for a further 20-30 minutes, until the glaze has become deliciously dark and sticky.
- Once cooked remove the roasting tin from the oven.
- Remove the Redcurrant Jelly Glazed Roast Lamb from the tin, set on a platter, cover in foil and leave to rest for 30-40 minutes – plenty of time to finish cooking the crunchy roast potatoes and other vegetables.
- Before serving remove any string.
- Finally, I served our delicious lamb on a platter surrounded by delicious, golden roast potatoes, with a side dish of freshly steamed vegetables.
There is nothing that says celebration to me more, than a beautiful roast, on a platter, in the centre of the table.
As Christians on Easter Sunday we remember the resurrection of Jesus Christ, from the dead. He offers new life to all who seek Him see Important Stuff. That, most certainly, is worthy of a celebration.
Spring as a season heralds the beginning of new life, see Spring has sprung.
Finally, Winter has passed and as blossom appears on the trees and birds build nests for their eggs, let’s take a moment to consider what a wonderful and beautiful world we live in.
Do you celebrate Easter?
If you have enjoyed this Redcurrant Jelly Glazed Roast Lamb, you may like to try these:
Please tag me in on Twitter/Instagram? I love seeing what you are cooking, baking and making.
All content, opinions and views are my own. I was not paid for this post. Please see my Disclosure Policy.
At time of publishing Graig Farm currently have 10% off their Organic Leg of Lamb.