Spring may be upon us and with it some gloriously sunny days. However, being British and therefore brought up to talk about the weather, there have also been a few blustery downpours. The sun, in April, not yet having had its chance to warm up our part of the planet, means there’s quite a chill in the air, when it’s hidden by clouds. Enter my Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Soup, perfect for warming you through, whether you’re chilly, or soaked through from a sudden downpour – April showers and all that!
Quite honestly, this soup is so utterly delicious, it’s flavours intensified by roasting the butternut squash first, I am happy to make it all year round. Or at least when butternut squash is in season.
I am really working on trying to eat seasonally. We did belong to a veg box scheme, but what with my health and body dictating what I am able to do during the day, too much was being wasted. On that subject I am, at present, propped up in bed, with my neck in spasm, due to a few violent seizures (see Living With Seizures).
Please don’t think I am writing this for you to feel sorry for me, nothing could be further from the truth. I just believe in honesty. In our Instagram shiny perfect world, it can lead to people feeling inadequate or broken. Real life can be messy. Health problems, relationship difficulties, family problems, financial issues. There’s a whole host of stuff that goes on ‘behind the scenes’ – I am generalising. Hubby and I are happy, but we have to deal with a lot, together.
A good meal like this Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Soup can feel like a warm hug, against the harsh realities, life sometimes throws at us. I can’t even remember exactly when I made this soup – about 2 weeks ago I think! Yet I haven’t had the opportunity to write it up until today.
This the most amazingly easy soup to make and the flavour is outta this world good. Who knew butternut squash could have so much more flavour, just by roasting it? Oh and the garlic, which is left unpeeled whilst it roasts, turns into sweet little cloves of utter heaven. Roasted garlic is about as far away from the heat and pungency of raw garlic, as it is possible to be. Together these two ingredients make this utterly scrumptious Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Soup.
Recipe: Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Soup serves 4-6 people
1 Butternut Squash
2 Garlic Cloves
2tbsp Olive Oil
1 Vegetable or Chicken Stock Cube
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Optional – Parsely and Double Cream to serve
Method: Preheat the oven to 209C/185C fan, gas mark 6
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the skin from the butternut squash.
- Cut the squash in half and then cut the bottom half in half again so that the seeds can be scooped out.
- Cut the butternut squash into 2.5cm/1″ chunks
- Place the chunks of butternut squash onto a baking tray along with the 2 garlic cloves.
- Pour over 1tbsp of olive oil and using clean hands toss the chunks so that they have a covering of oil.
- Add a small sprinkle of sea salt (1/2tsp) and a good grinding of black pepper.
- Place the baking tray into the oven and allow to roast for 25 minutes.
- Whilst the squash and garlic are roasting, peel and finely chop the onion.
- In a large saucepan add the other tablespoon of olive oil and the chopped onion. Sauté over a medium heat until the onion is softened and translucent. Leave to one side.
- The butternut squash is roasted once it has become tender.
- Once cooked remove the baking tray from the oven.
- The butternut squash has reduced inside and that means – concentrated flavour!
- Place the saucepan containing the sautéed onion back over a medium heat.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skin and add to the saucepan.
- Add the roasted butternut squash to the pan,
- Cover with 1.5 litres of hot water from the kettle.
- Crumble in the stock cube.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for a further 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove the pan from the heat and blend using an immersion blender. Alternatively allow the soup to cool a little and blend, in batches, using a blender. Once blended add the soup back to the saucepan.
- Check for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- If the soup is too thick add a little extra hot water until the desired consistency is reached.
I like to serve this soup with a little swirl of cream and some Parsely to garnish. A nice thick slice of my Crunchy Seeded Bread would turn this Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Soup into a substantial meal. I love dunking bread into soup, do you?
To store, cool the soup completely and portion into airtight containers or zip lock freezer bags. It will keep in the fridge for 4 days or the freezer for up to one month. In fact next time I make this Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Soup I am going to double up on the quantities. It only takes a little longer to peel and chop an extra squash and onion. Whilst the oven is on, it makes sense to pop in two baking trays. That way I will have lunch or a quick dinner, bolstered with some bread and cheese, for the days when I simply am not up to cooking.
Sounds like a plan 😉
If you have enjoyed this Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Soup here are some other delicious soup recipes:
Do you sometimes need a warm hug?
What is your go to comforting food?
Thank you for taking time to leave a comment. I really enjoy reading them and hearing about your baking/cooking adventures. Likewise it’s been fantastic to see so many of you posting your makes and bakes on Twitter and Instagram. If you tag me in I’ll be sure to retweet or give you a shoutout.
Wherever you are and whatever you are making I wish you all the very best and hope that you know you are loved and treasured – see Important Stuff.
This Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Soup has been entered into the No Croutons Required Link Up hosted by Jac at Tinned Tomatoes.