With Easter fast approaching I decided to take advantage of the range of chocolate eggs available and bake with some. These Chocolate Monster Mini Egg Cookies are the perfect large cookie. Soft, chewy, buttery cookies with whole Smartie mini eggs baked into the batter.
I am thoroughly enjoying the lead up to Easter this year. Last year I was unwell and in hospital over Easter, see Living With Seizures which really sucked. Now, although I still have seizures every day, at least I am at home, with my family.
Baking these Chocolate Monster Mini Egg Cookies is a great way to share with our children, nephews, nieces, family and friends. I love seeing the excited look of anticipation. What has mummy baked today. In spite of my health issues, it gives me real joy to see the pleasure a treat brings to someone else.
As well as these delicious cookies, Smartie mini eggs have also made there way into Chocolate Mini Egg Brownies so I am definitely feeling the mini egg love this Easter!
I absolutely love Cadburys mini eggs and may well have polished of a packet
or three whilst in hospital last year! They will feature in a recipe I have planned, but the colours of the Smartie mini eggs really grabbed my attention. What I also love is that they keep their shape whilst baking, yet soften a little. This combination works beautifully in this cookie recipe.
If you are a regular reader of this blog, you will know that I am a self confessed Cookie Monster. I find no shame in admitting this. However, you should know this recipe makes 12 Chocolate Monster Mini Egg Cookies. Absolutely perfect for cookie lovers like me!
These are most definitely not a one bite and they’re gone cookie. In fact I had one for my lunch today with a hot cup of tea and I have to say, I was one very happy bunny (see the Easter pun there 😉).
Obviously these are intended as a treat and that’s part of the reason I give so much of my baking away. It wouldn’t be very healthy if we ate all of every batch of say Marshmallow Frosted Mango Cupcakes that I bake.
So by sharing the love, I also share the calories, that are balanced out in our home with lots of fruit and vegetables.
Recipe: Makes 12 Chocolate Monster Mini Egg Cookies
225g/8oz Soft Light Brown Sugar
150g/5oz Unsalted Butter- at room temperature
2tsp Vanilla Extract – I use Nielsen-Massey
1 Large Free Range Egg – plus
1 Large Free Range Egg Yolk
275g/10oz Plain White Flour
1/2tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
Pinch of Salt
2 Packets Smartie Mini Eggs (2x100g)
Method: Preheat oven to 165C/150C fan, gas mark 3
- Place the sugar and butter in a large bowl and whisk/beat for 5 minutes until pale and creamy – whisking for 5 minutes here and then after adding the eggs is very important to the finished texture of the cookie.
- Add the vanilla extract and the eggs and continue whisking/beating for a further 5 minutes.
- Sift in the flour, bicarb. and salt.
- Add both packets of Smartie mini eggs
- Fold all the ingredients together until you have uniform cookie dough.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop mounds of cookie dough onto baking parchment lined baking trays.
- I place 4 scoops per baking tray as these cookies do spread.
- With clean damp hands, use your fingers to press down and flatten the mounds.
- Place the cookies in the preheated oven and bake for exactly 15 minutes.
- Once baked the cookies will be golden but still very soft. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool completely on the baking tray. The cookies harden on cooling.
- When cold store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. There is no way that they ever last that long in our house!!
These Chocolate Monster Mini Egg Cookies are utterly irresistible and so satisfying to eat, due to their size.
They are sure to be a hit with whoever you share them with and once Easter has passed, I’m sure they would be perfect, made using the cookie dough, with Smarties added to them.
Do you have a favourite Easter recipe?
If you have enjoyed making these Chocolate Monster Mini Egg Cookies here are some more cookie recipes:
If you make any of these, or my other recipes I’d love to know how you get on. Please leave a comment and/or post a photo on Twitter/Instagram? I love seeing your makes and bakes.
Wishing you all a very happy and healthy Easter.
Also entered for the month of March Simply Eggcellent over at Belleau Kitchen