Who doesn’t love an easy, quick to make, healthy meal? Exactly. I love pasta, mostly for its versatility. Any number of sauces or meals can be made to go with a million varieties of pasta. Where would we be without it? Thank you Italy, you may have invaded Britain, however it’s time to let things go, as you gave us pasta. More specifically the fusilli bronze die pasta used in this Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Pasta.
Next time you think of tossing a jar of pesto into pasta for dinner, think again. Since this dish only took 30 minutes to make, it is definitely worth trying. Not only do you get a balanced healthy meal, it is filling, like a proper meal should be. Bite sized pieces of chicken breast, fresh baby spinach wilted into the tomato and cream cheese sauce.
If you are cutting down on carbs you may not like my next suggestion. That is, to serve this tasty bowl of goodness with a chunk of baguette, or crusty bread. While not swimming in sauce, there will be some pooled on your plate or bowl. This is where bread is important. Dunking. Using the bread to absorb every last drop of this creamy sauce. Keeping with the low fat theme, there is no reason why the bread should be buttered. In fact there will be a greater absorbency area if left unbutterd. Win win!
Food should be enjoyed. Indeed it should be a feast. It should feed more than our tummies, it should feed our soul. Giving thanks before eating is a custom here at home. Yet stopping for a moment to look and smell the food in front of you is also important. Too much food is literally shoved down throats while watching television. I wonder if the taste even has time to register with the brain. Eating with family, while sitting up at a table, not only slows down the rate at which we eat, the entire experience is altogether more pleasurable. Hence – food tastes better when it is shared.
Time to make this delicious dish.
Recipe: Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Pasta serves 4-6 people
500g Diced Chicken Breast skin off cut into bite size pieces- I use Graig Farm
1tbsp Olive Oil
1 Large Leek – washed and cut into small dice
2 x 400g Chopped Tin Tomatoes plus 1 tin of pasta cooking water
200g Washed Baby Spinach – frozen can be used if out of season
1tbsp Fresh Thyme finely chopped – plus additional Thyme for garnishing the finished dish
140g Philadelphia Cream Cheese – I use full fat, by all means try a lower fat version if you’re confident cooking with it
1tsp Sea Salt – I use Maldon
Good Grinding of Fresh Black Pepper to taste
450g Fusilli Pasta – bronze die leaves rougher edges on the pasta and so it absorbs more sauce
- Place a heavy bottomed pan on to the hob over medium heat. Add the olive oil and allow to heat.
- At the same time place a large pan of water on a high heat, ready to cook the pasta. When the water is boiling add a teaspoon of sea salt and then the pasta and cook for 8 minutes.
- Into the other pan add the chopped chicken breast and cook until lightly browned.
- Remove the cooked chicken to a plate and then add the chopped leek to the pan.
- Saute the leek until it is softened and then add the cooked chicken back to the pan.
- Immediately add the 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and use a wooden spatula to scrape the base of the pan clean. Follow by adding the chopped fresh thyme.
- Next tip the baby spinach into the pan. Don’t worry if it is piled high it will wilt down.
- Remove a can full/2-3 ladles of hot pasta water and pour on to the spinach. Be careful as it will be hot.
- Drain the pasta and tip on to the spinach. Allow the spinach to wilt down, it will release it’s water and make the sauce thinner.
- Next add the cream cheese to the pan and stir so that it melts into the sauce.
- Most importantly, taste the sauce. Add a good grinding of fresh black pepper to taste. Additional salt should not be needed as the pasta water used is salty.
- Sprinkle over fresh Thyme and the dish is ready to be served.
Serve this delicious Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Pasta in bowls.
Since this dish is ideal to make ahead, it is also perfect for transporting. Ideal for a new family or friend who is unwell. This dish is as perfect to share outside the home as it is with family and friends around the dinner table.
If you have enjoyed this recipe for Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Pasta then you may also like these:
Pasta is such a versatile ingredient in the kitchen. Also, once cooked it can very often be frozen as this Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Pasta, Chicken Four Cheese Pasta and Cheesy Vegetable all can be. While cooking from scratch takes barely more than 10 minutes. Pouring over some sauce (recipe coming soon) or the lemon garlic sauce that accompanies the Orzo recipe above. Easy meals are a busy household’s must.
Have fun creating, cooking and baking in your kitchens.
Please do not copy any part of this post. See my Disclosure Policy for full details.Share This