Who doesn’t love an easy, quick to make, healthy meal? Quick to cook, versatile, economical and delicious, pasta ticks all of these boxes. Since any number of sauces or meals can be made to go with a million varieties of pasta. Where would we be without it? And thank you Italy, you may have invaded Britain, however it’s time to let things go, as you gave us pasta. More specifically the fusilli bronze die pasta used in this Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Pasta.
Next time you think of tossing a jar of pesto into pasta for dinner, think again. Since this dish only took 30 minutes to make, it is definitely worth trying. Not only do you get a balanced healthy meal, it is filling, like a proper meal should be. Bite sized pieces of chicken breast, fresh baby spinach wilted into the tomato and cream cheese sauce.
If you are cutting down on carbs you may not like my next suggestion. Which is, to serve this tasty bowl of goodness with a chunk of baguette, or crusty bread and salad. While not swimming in sauce, there will be some pooled on your plate or bowl. And this is where bread is important. Dunking. Using the bread to absorb every last drop of the luscious, creamy sauce. Also, keeping with the low fat theme, why not leave the bread unbuttered? While reducing calories, the bread is more absorbent without butter.
Eating should be an enjoyable experience. Indeed it should be a feast. It should feed more than our tummies, it should feed our soul. Giving thanks before eating is a custom here at home. Yet stopping for a moment to look and smell the food in front of you is also important. Too much food is literally shoved down throats while watching television. I wonder if the taste even has time to register with the brain. Eating with family, while sitting up at a table, not only slows down the rate at which we eat, the entire experience is altogether more pleasurable. My conclusion is that all food always tastes better when it is shared.
Time to make this delicious dish.
Recipe: Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Pasta serves 4-6 people
500g Diced Chicken Breast skin off cut into bite size pieces- I use Graig Farm
1tbsp Olive Oil – I use Filippo Berio
1 Large Leek – washed and cut into small dice
2 x 400g Chopped Tin Tomatoes plus 1 tin of pasta cooking water. Alternatively use the same weight of chopped, fresh tomatoes and approximately 400mls of pasta cooking water.
200g Washed Baby Spinach – frozen can be used if out of season
1tbsp Fresh Thyme finely chopped – plus additional Thyme for garnishing the finished dish
140g Philadelphia Cream Cheese – I use full fat, by all means try a lower fat version if you’re confident cooking with it
1tsp Sea Salt – I use Maldon
Good Grinding of Fresh Black Pepper to taste
450g Fusilli Pasta – bronze die leaves rougher edges on the pasta and so it absorbs more sauce
Method: Making the Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Pasta
- First of all, place a heavy bottomed pan on to the hob over medium heat. Add the olive oil and allow to heat.
- At the same time place a large pan of water on a high heat, ready to cook the pasta. When the water is boiling add a teaspoon of sea salt and then the pasta and cook for 8 minutes.
- Into the other pan add the chopped chicken breast and cook until lightly browned.
- Remove the cooked chicken to a plate and then add the chopped leek to the pan.
- Saute the leek until it is softened and then add the cooked chicken back to the pan.
- Immediately add the 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and use a wooden spatula to scrape the base of the pan clean. Follow by adding the chopped fresh thyme.
- Now tip the baby spinach into the pan. Don’t worry if it is piled high it will wilt down.
- Remove a can full/2-3 ladles (approximately 400ml) of hot pasta water and pour on to the spinach. Take extra care as it will be hot.
- Drain the pasta and tip on to the spinach. Allow the spinach to wilt down, it will release it’s water and make the sauce thinner.
- Next add the cream cheese to the pan and stir so that it melts into the sauce.
- Most importantly, taste the sauce. Add a good grinding of fresh black pepper to taste. Additional salt should not be needed as the pasta water used is salty.
- Sprinkle over fresh Thyme and the dish is ready to be served.
Time to eat
Serve this delicious Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Pasta in bowls.
This pasta dish is not only ideal to make ahead, it is also easy to transport. Which makes it an easy dish to gift to a new family, friend who is unwell, or anyone who really needs a break from cooking. Resulting in a great meal that is as perfect to share outside the home, as well as with family and friends around the dinner table.
If you have enjoyed this recipe for Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Pasta then you may also like these:
Pasta is a very important ingredient in my kitchen. A go to staple when I need to whip up something super tasty, super quick. Another bonus it that after cooking it can very often be frozen as this Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Pasta, Chicken Four Cheese Pasta and Cheesy Vegetable all can be. While cooking from scratch takes barely more than 10 minutes. Even though there are countless ready made sauces to buy available, this homemade pasta dishes is quick and easy. And here at home, easy meals are a busy household’s must.
So, whatever you are making, baking and creating in your kitchens, have fun preparing and sharing your feast.
No part of this post may be reproduced or duplicated without the written permission of the owner. See my Disclosure Policy for full details.Share