Let’s talk potatoes, the staple of many a British meal, yet often assigned the side role when it comes to dinner time. Although I will never be a fan of plain, peeled, boiled potatoes, yet give me a healthy serving of Perfectly Mashed Potatoes and I’m likely to forget the sausages on the plate! And these crunchy Garlic Rosemary Roast Potatoes are so full of flavour and enhance any meal that accompanies them.
Since winning some Albert Bartlett red Rooster Potatoes a while ago, I wanted to create a delicious roast potato recipe that included the gorgeous red Rooster skin. While the skin has a fantastic flavour, it is also good good source of fibre. Also potatoes contain Potassium, Vitamin C and Iron and are low in fat – unless you fry them or smother them in butter 😉.
All things in moderation eh?
I apologise for not posting this recipe earlier, however, as today is #National Garlic Day, I thought it would be rather appropriate. While I love garlic and have used quite a bit in this recipe, you can add as much or as little as you like. Likewise with the Rosemary. And I couldn’t resist a final sprinkling of freshly chopped Parsley, which gives the finished dish a burst of colour and flavour and an extra hit of vitamin C. Again this is optional.
When I picked the Rosemary for these Garlic Rosemary Roast Potatoes, it still had some beautiful blue flowers on it. These can be eaten along with the finely chopped thick leaves.
Recipe: Garlic Rosemary Roast Potatoes serves 6
2kg/4.5lb Red Potatoes – such as the Albert Bartlett Rooster Potatoes I’ve used
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
4-5 Bulbs of Garlic
Small Handful Fresh Rosemary Stems
Sea Salt – I use Maldon and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Optional – handful of chopped fresh parsley to finish.
Method: Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan, gas mark 6, 400F.
Preparing The Potatoes For Roasting
- Wash and thoroughly dry the potatoes. I place them onto a clean tea towel and place another tea towel on top to absorb all the moisture – dry potatoes = crunchy potatoes!
- Chop the potatoes into 2″-3″ sized chunks and place onto a baking sheet.
- Strip the Rosemary leaves from the stem and finely chop.
- Finely chop/mince the garlic, removing the papery skin.
- Drizzle the Olive Oil over the potatoes, then sprinkle over the garlic and chopped Rosemary.
- Add 1/2tsp of sea salt and some freshly ground pepper.
- Using clean hands toss all the ingredients together on the baking tray, ensuring each potato chunk is slicked in oil.
Roasting The Herb Potatoes
- Place the baking tray into the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes.
- The potatoes are cooked when they are golden brown and tender all the way through – test with a knife if unsure.
- Once cooked remove the potatoes from the oven,
- Place the Garlic Rosemary Roast Potatoes on a serving platter and sprinkle over a handful of chopped Parsely.
Almost certainly you will not have to call everyone to tell them dinner is ready! These potatoes smell as good as they taste. I like to serve them with everything from grilled salmon, chicken, to a fully roasted beef joint for Sunday dinner. It’s nice to ring the changes on week nights and weekend dinners.
This is a much requested dish in our house and we quite often have them with cold meat and salad, during the warmer summer months.
If you have enjoyed these Garlic Rosemary Roast Potatoes you may also like these other recipes:
Sometimes the simplest recipes are the tastiest.
Whatever you are baking and making in your kitchens, have fun!
No part of this post may be reproduced or duplicated without the written permission of the owner. Please see my Disclosure Policy.Share