As much as I enjoy baking, sometimes it is nice being able to whip up a sweet treat, without putting the oven on. Especially these Caramel Crunch Rocky Road Bars, requiring nothing more than a spot of microwave melting and chilling before being ready to eat. Resulting in a perfect, last minute party contribution, or satisfying Saturday evening hunger fest.
Using two packs of the ‘relatively new’ digestive nibbles gives these bars a really satisfying crunch. While the addition of Rolo’s add a not too sweet caramel bite. Mixed with mini marshmallows and set within a delicious chocolate base, every possible texture pops in the mouth. Crunchy, chewy and melting. The combination of all of the ingredients is incredible. Finished with the perfect white chocolate drizzle.
So quick and easy to make, perfect for sharing.
Recipe: Caramel Crunch Rocky Road Bars makes 12 large or 18 small
200g/7oz Milk Chocolate
100g/4oz Dark Chocolate
100g/4oz Unsalted Butter
2tbsp Golden Syrup
150g/5oz Mini Marshmallows
3 packs Rolos approximately 150g
200g/7oz White Chocolate
Making the rocky road
- First of all, line a 20cm x 28cm x 5cm tin (8″ x 11″ x 2″) with baking parchment.
- Into a large, heatproof, microwaveable bowl add the butter and broken up milk and dark chocolate. Heat in the microwave, on medium power, for 30 second bursts. Stir after each heating burst. As soon as the chocolate and butter are melted remove the bowl from the microwave. And then add the golden syrup and stir continuously until the mixture is fully combined and glossy.
- Next add 2 packets of Digestive nibbles.
- Follow by adding the marshmallows and Rolos.
- Stir until everything is slicked in chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, taking care to fill evenly.
- Now break up the white chocolate and place into another heatproof, microwaveable bowl. Again, heat on medium for 30 seconds stirring after each heating burst. Take care not to overheat the chocolate. As soon as it starts to melt remove and stir continuously until it is completely liquid.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the white chocolate over the rocky road mixture in the tin.
- Place the tin in the fridge for 30 minutes, or until the chocolate has completely set.
Two portion sizes
- As soon as it is set, remove the slab of rocky road from the tin using a palette knife to lift beneath the baking parchment.
- Using a sharp knife cut across the width, creating 3 evenly sized portions. Then cut through the centre. For smaller bars divide each half into 9 squares, as on the left. Divide into 6, as on the right, for larger bars.
Finally some advice, if you are making these for a party, place in a baking parchment lined, airtight container and hide them!
During warm weather keep in the fridge. While they will keep for up to one week, however I very much doubt, if you have children or teenagers around that you will have any left after 48 hours. I speak from experience.
So incredibly delicious and surprisingly not overly sweet, these Caramel Crunch Rocky Road Bars are perfect for parties and family gatherings.
If you have enjoyed the recipe for Caramel Crunch Rocky Road Bars, then you may also like these:
Over the years I have made many different versions of this recipe. Digestive biscuits work well, when broken up. Because their slightly salty, wholemeal flavour balances the sweetness from marshmallows and chocolate. And Digestive Nibbles have that same quality. While they also bring a uniform shape to the cut bars, resulting in less crumbling when handled.
So whatever you are making, baking and creating in your kitchens, have fun preparing your feast.
No part of this post may be replicated or copied without the written permission of the owner. Please see my Disclosure Policy.Share