Easter is nearly upon us. Shops are filled with fluffy bunnies, chocolate chicks and all manner of chocolate eggs. While surveying the vast selection, I found Galaxy Chocolate Golden Mini Eggs. And they are perfect for decorating an Easter celebration cake. Especially my Golden Egg Chocolate Sponge Cake.
The reason for Easter
Easter Sunday is the Christian celebration of new life. Although Jesus had died two days prior, hanging on a cross. Yet when His friends went to visit Him the following Sunday, the tomb where He had been placed was empty. Shocked and outraged, one of the women spoke to the gardener, wanting to know where He had gone. The response came “Why look for the living among the dead.”
As the prophecies had foretold, Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, had risen from the dead. He had overcome death. Forever. So that we, may have life, in Him. Hence the chicks and eggs, bunnies and lambs in the shops, represent new life. Gold, for me on this cake, represents the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Jesus. He who could not be contained by death. Even though He was brutally punished and died wearing a crown made from thorns. Is now alive, bearing the scars of death, yet as alive as you and I. Please see Important Stuff.
While celebrating over Easter, take a moment, to think about what it means to you. As you make and bake this cake, remember the love, His love, that He offers you. Even now, as Easter is treated as an extra holiday. Consider the real truth behind it. With Jesus their is always hope, without Him, who do you place your hope in?
Recipe: Golden Egg Chocolate Sponge Cake serves 8-10
225g/8oz Unsalted Butter softened
225g/8oz Light Brown Sugar
1tsp Vanilla Eaxtract – I use Nielsen-Massey
1/4tsp Salt -I use Maldon
5 Large Free Range Eggs
150g/5oz Plain White Flour
75g Cocoa Powder – I use Callebaut
2tsp Baking Powder
For frosting and decorating:
3-4tbsp Salted Chocolate Spread – I use Hawkshead Relish new MUDD spread
alternatively use a chocolate spread of your choice.
200g/7oz Unsalted Butter
400g/14oz Plain Icing Sugar
1tsp Vanilla Extract
2tbsp Hot Water – from a recently boiled kettle
2 x 80g bags Galaxy Mini Golden Eggs
Optional – gold/copper sprinkles
Method: Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan, gas mark 3, 325F
Grease 2 x 20cm/8″ sandwich tins with butter. Line the base of each tin with baking parchment.
Making and baking the chocolate sponge cakes
- First of all, place a sieve over a bowl. Then sieve the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into the bowl. Set the bowl to one side. Dry ingredients.
- Next, place the eggs and buttermilk into a jug. Whisk lightly using a fork. Wet ingredients.
- Place the butter, brown butter and salt into a large bowl. Beat until well combined and free from lumps.
- Next add the vanilla extract. Continue to beat until incorporated.
- Take the jug of wet ingredients and pour on to the butter mixture. Then add the sifted dry ingredients.
- Beat the ingredients in the bowl gently, scraping down the sides of the bowl halfway through. Continue to beat the ingredients until fully combined.
- Divide the chocolate sponge batter equally between the two prepared cake tins.
- Place the cake tins into the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- The cakes are baked when they spring back from a light touch and a cake tester comes out clean.
- As soon as the cakes are baked remove them from the oven.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the tin for 20 minutes and then tip them out on to a cooling rack.
- Once cooled carefully remove the baking parchment from the base of each cake.
Making the frosting and decorating the cake:
- While the cakes are cooling the buttercream frosting can be made.
- Place the butter into a large bowl, or the bowl of a free standing mixer with paddle attachment.
- Next add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Now whisk or beat the butter until it is softer and pale.
- Add all of the icing sugar to the bowl and 2 tablespoons of very hot water.
- Start mixing very slowly and then as the butter and icing sugar start to combine increase the mixing speed. Continue until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Fit a large icing bag with a large closed star, or drop flower piping nozzle. I have a Wilton #2D piping nozzle.
- Fill the piping bag with the whipped buttercream.
- Place the bottom of the cake on to a plate.
- Spread the Salted Chocolate Spread over the cake. Follow by piping the buttercream so that it covers the spread. Start at the outside edge of the cake, piping in circles until the centre is reached.
- Place the top of the cake evenly on to the bottom.
- Pipe buttercream on to the top of the cake, in the same way the base was covered.
- And then pipe 6 swirls, slightly set in from the edge of the cake. See the photograph below.
- Finally, decorate the top of the cake with the mini golden eggs and sprinkles.
And the cake is now ready to be served.
Serve with a smile to friends and family. Alternatively gift the cake to someone special.
This cake will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Refrigerate is the weather is hot.
If you have enjoyed this Easter recipe for Golden Egg Chocolate Sponge Cake you may also like these:
While celebrating Easter is especially important to me, having a real, everyday relationship with Jesus is more important. Rather than dealing with life on my own, He is always there. Because of what He endured on the cross and in His life, Jesus understands. So as well as being my Saviour, He is also my friend.
So, whatever you are making, baking and creating in your kitchens, have fun preparing and sharing your feast.
Hawkshead Relish gifted a jar of Salted Chocolate Spread to me. This is not a sponsored post. All views, opinions, content including photographs are my own. The entire content of this post is covered by Copyright and I.P. laws. Please see my Disclosure Policy.Share