During warm Summer evenings, sitting in our garden, listening to the birds chatter and chirp, the delicious smell of barbecue often fills the air. I’m never going to be a cheap sausages and cheap burgers girl. Good sausages yes. Burgers that are traceable back to their origin, definitely. For me though, kebabs are the way to go. I made these Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs last year for our daughters birthday. With a slight change to the recipe, all for the better, I now can show them to you.
Having been sent some KanKun Mexican Chilli Sauce to try, I was eager to see how the jalapeño chilli sauce would work with the kebabs I had made for last year’s birthday barbecue.
Oh wow. They are so good!
The jalapeño chilli sauce infuses a warmth into the chicken pieces without over powering them with heat. Working with the lime and garlic in the marinade, the chicken pieces take on all the flavours as well as being tenderised by the lime juice. These Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs are utterly delicious when cooked in the oven. For preference though, cook these on the barbecue if you can.
I wasn’t able to grill the on the barbecue, but the smokey, charred, flavour added by grilling them means that I will as soon as possible. Another alternative, maybe when the weather isn’t up to grilling would be to stir fry the chicken. Add in the ingredients from the vegetable kebabs and you have a quick, easy meal.
As our children ate these Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs with us I didn’t add too much sauce. You can certainly use it as a condiment if you want to kick the heat up a notch!
I love chilli’s and am, at present growing some from seed. They will then be transferred to the front garden, as that is the driest and gets the most sun. Chilli’s like to be treated a bit mean whilst they are growing, although the odd splash of tomato food, once the chilli’s are forming does them the world of good.
For those of you who cannot or do not want to grow your own chilli’s, KanKun have a range of 3 bottles of chilli sauce – Chipotle, Habanero and Jalapeño. Each can be used in cooking (keep an eye out for my upcoming Chipotle Pulled Pork Fajita’s), or as a condiment. Just make sure that any sauce that has been in contact with raw meat is disposed of and not reused.
Recipe: Makes 5 Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs
650g/1.5lb Skinned Boneless Chicken Breast – preferably Free Range or Organic – I buy ours from Graig Farm
2tbsp Olive Oil
Juice of 1 Lime
1tbsp Mexican Jalapeño Sauce from KanKun Sauce
2 Cloves of Garlic – crushed or minced
1 Small Chilli or 1/2 Jalapeño Chilli – sliced (seeds removed if preferred)
1/4tsp Sea Salt – I use Maldon
1/4tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 large resealable plastic food bag.
Method: Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan, gas mark 6 or cook over a medium hot barbecue grill.
Note – when handling raw meat, especially chicken, ensure all utensils, work tops and your hands are thoroughly washed before and after use.
- Open the resealable bag and turn down the sides. This makes it easier to add things to the bag.
- Pour in the olive oil, jalapeño sauce, juice of 1 lime and then add the crushed garlic, sliced chilli, salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken breast into 3cm chunks and add to the bag. I actually use sharp kitchen scissors to snip the chicken straight into the bag.
- Seal the bag and with clean hands smoosh the chicken about in the bag, ensuring every piece is covered in the marinade.
- Label the bag and place in the bottom of the fridge for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Whilst the chicken is marinating, soak the wooden skewers in cold water – so they don’t catch fire on the barbecue!
- Cover a large baking tray with aluminium foil – this really helps with the clean up process.
- Carefully thread 5-7 pieces of chicken on each skewer. The chicken takes the same amount of time to cook as the vegetable kebabs, so intersperse with sliced courgette, red/yellow peppers if liked.
- Place the Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs on to the foil covered tray and pour over any excess marinade.
- Cook in the top of the oven for 30 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.
- If grilling on the barbecue these Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs should take no longer than 20 minutes on a medium/hot barbeque grill, turing halfway through cooking.
- To check if the chicken is cooked all the way through, slide off a thicker chunk and cut in half – there should not be any pink colour, the chicken should be opaque all the way through.
- Once cooked remove the kebabs from the oven/barbecue.
Serve the Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs in warmed pitta bread with fresh salad and extra Jalapeño Sauce, or as I have done, with herb basmati rice and vegetable kebabs.
However you serve these delicious kebabs they are sure to be thoroughly enjoyed. The lime, garlic and jalapeño chilli give them a warming, fresh, vibrant flavour. For real chilli fans, serve with extra slices of jalapeño chilli’s to up the heat factor.
Whilst I love the heat that chilli imparts to a dish, I never want to compromise on flavour. This Mexican Jalapeño Chilli Sauce is so delicious and perfectly blends with the other flavours in these Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs.
If you like to add a little heat to your meals, try adding a dash or two of KanKun Mexican Jalapeño Sauce!
If you have enjoyed this recipe for Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs here are some others you may like:
I love the Summer months. Having the back door open, sunlight streaming in through open windows, longer daylight hours. Let’s make the most of this Summer. Eat outdoors, dust of the BBQ, invite friends and family round, for feasting, fun and the obligatory (in our house) water fight in the garden.
Let us all enjoy the warmth of the sun, good company, great food and having fun.